Rocky Mountain Motorsports Statement:
Thursday, September 24 – Rocky Mountain Motor Sports Officially Breaks Ground on Construction of new Calgary-Area Race Track
After five years of work getting approvals and permits from Alberta Stakeholders, Rocky Mountain Motor Sports is ready to break ground on a safe, multi-purpose-built facility for S. Alberta and region to enjoy the sport of racing with a world-class 3.5 KM track, 16 turns and 36M of elevation change to a lap.
Some key factors to this project:
• Diversifying the Alberta economy with $100 million investment over the next 4-5 years; $25 million in the first year. 200 person years of construction jobs and up to 100 new jobs created.
• A place for elite and recreational car racing
• Emphasis on performance driving schools which are proven to result in less accidents for participants
• Plans includes a commercial development zone that will revitalize a subset of the economy that depends on having a professional race track in the area.
• Are currently in the midst of having long-term discussions with Calgary Police Service on establishing a new officer driver training academy that will meet the current and future needs of the force
• Rocky Mountain Motor Sports will play a role in reducing street racing for those that choose to enjoy the sport in a safe facility – obviously won’t fix the problem, but will provide an opportunity to reduce it;
• Venue for automotive companies to test drive vehicles performance etc.
• The track is located at the intersection of Queen Elizabeth II Highway and Highway 581 (the Carstairs overpass). This is approximately a 20 minute drive north of Calgary city limits, a 120 minute drive south of Edmonton city limits, and approximately a 45 minute drive south from Red Deer.
This is a road course track, there will NOT have an oval or drag strip, but they will have road racing. If road racing or track time interest you should check out their membership.