2016 Southern Alberta Solosport Club (SASC) Winter Driver Training
This is school for the general public who want to learn better driving skills under winter conditions. This is different then a driving school for your license, instead of being told how to handle adverse conditions, you will be showed how to deal with them. People are showed special driving techniques from motorsports, to experience better car control skills.
One of the worst things people can expect in winter driving is hitting ice & losing control of their vehicle. This school can teach you how to recover from loss of traction or a spin.
The instructors come from various motorsports backgrounds: autocross champions, formula car and high performance driving instructors, time attack competitors, sports/touring car, go kart and rally drivers. They have passion for driving & are skilled in their respective disciplines of motorsport. The reason they do this to save lives by helping to develop skilled drivers, instead statistics.
Days Inn Cochrane (5 Westside Drive Cochrane) for the morning meeting and presentation.
Ghost Lake: Ghost Lake is located approximately 17 km west of Cochrane on Hwy 1A just west of the bridge on the south side of the highway. The ice is accessed via a boat ramp from the parking lot.
At this time of the year, Ghost Lake is a giant sheet of ice like a large hockey rink. This makes it a perfect venue for learning how to drive your own vehicle in ice and snow conditions. Best of all, it is only 30 minutes away from Calgary
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Instructors to Drivers ratio (6:1 or better)
Lunch is included. Please let us know if you have any special dietary requirements.
Generally we use Subway or a Pizza outlet delivered to the site.
SASC is a Registered, Non-profit Society in Alberta.
The only warnings I give anyone is to dress warm, you will be on a frozen lake & book the your school A.S.A.P. as they will sell out.
Preliminary Schedule for the Winter Driver Training. Stay tuned for any changes, if any.
1. Sat. Dec. 26/15 (WDT1: Instructor/helper training – (maybe classroom in the evening?). This one is tentative and will be confirmed shortly.
2. Sunday, Dec. 27, 2015 – Student school (WDT2) – (designed specifically for students – high school, college, university during the X-mas break). We wish to keep this event by invitation (private) only in order to reserve spaces for students (plus parents, of course if they wish).
3. Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016 (WDT3) – 1st regular Winter Driver Training.
4. Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016 (WDT4) – 2nd regular Winter Driver Training
5. Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016 (WDT5) – 3rd regular Winter Driver Training
6. Sunday, Feb. 21, 2016 (WDT6) – 4th regular Winter Driver Training
7. Sunday, Mar. 6, 2016 (WDT7) – 5th regular Winter Driver Training
Note that all regular events are also open to students at student rates as well as adults. The purchase of Gift Cards in www.Motorsportreg.com will be available for the Winter Driver Training – good for Christmas and otherwise.
Southern Alberta Solosport Club (SASC) Facebook